June 12, 2016

My Book Shelf: Shantaram


Hi!
I finished another book.

This time I picked one book that everybody used to talk about quite a while ago. One my friend recommended it to me when she knew that I was a little bit into yoga so I thought that would be soo great. Plus she was so obsessed with it so I thought it was meant for me.

You know there's a thing that every book needs a special time to read? Well, you know when you start to read something and just can't and if come back to it after maybe some events in your life you will read it from cover to cover within couple days/weeks? That's not what happened to me.

My general opinion is: it's good but there was a Wow Effect. I enjoyed it, it's a very interesting story, there's a lot of information about India and living there, but I wasn't that impressed with it as I wanted to be.
The story is about a person you escaped from the prison in Australia, went to India to hide, met new people, fell in love, became the part of the Mafia, went on war in Afganistan, returned alive, became a very important part of the Mafia. There were a lot of going on there. And that's what I liked: it is very dynamic and you usually just want to know how the situation ends. There are some parts where within two pages one very good character dies, in a page another good character dies and you're like "What the hell is going on?! Stop killing people!!" But still you are like trapped, you just want to know how it ends.

The end of the book actually disappointed me. I expected something absolutely different. It's not the fact that my idea didn't coincide with the idea of the author disappointed me, no, but the fact that what actually happened I didn't like at all. My friend promoted it as a love story, she told me even that she worried that her fiancée didn't act like the main character towards her and I was like "Well, that should be a really nice story then". But actually this "love" story isn't typical. It's not what you might think after my friend's words. It's different. Keep it in mind if you ever think of reading this.

So, my final thought: I like the story but not as much as I expected from the book that everybody rages about.

So, what are your thoughts about this book if you've read this? If you haven't how do you think would you ever read it?

So have a nice day wherever you are :)
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment